F-1 Visa

International students attending Fullerton hold an F-1 student visa, a non-immigrant classification which allows you to enter and remain in the US as long as you are a properly registered full-time student.


What is a Visa?

A non-immigrant US visa is issued as a stamp in your passport by a US embassy or consulate outside the United States. A visa stamp indicates that you are eligible for entry and reentry to the United States in the immigration category indicated (F-1, E-2, H-1B, etc). Most visa stamps are for multiple entries.

Picture of F-1 Visa


Resources on Obtaining an F-1 Student Visa

Can I get an F-1 visa inside the U.S.?

No, it is not possible to apply for or to renew a visa in the United States. Visas are issued only by a US consul in a US embassy or consulate outside the United States.

What if my F-1 visa expires while I'm in the US?

A visa does not determine how long you can remain in the United States. Therefore, you may stay beyond the expiration date of your visa as long as you are in status as a full-time student. However, when traveling outside the US, it will be necessary to apply for a new visa stamp, through the same process as your initial visa application, at a US embassy or consulate to gain reentry.

Who is considered an F-2 Visa Holder?

In accordance with US Federal Code, the spouse and minor children accompanying an F-1 student are eligible for admission in F-2 visa status. The F-2 spouse or child may not engage in any studies at Fullerton College.